My old Tech 10’s have so far lasted 2 years. Apart from the soles which have worn all the way down through the first layer, they are actually still in pretty good shape, so I have sent them back to Alpinestars to get re-soled. They are comfy boots, and provide great support, but they have the worst buckles in the history of MX buckles. Literally the only way to close them is to smash them with your palm, although a shoe or a wrench usually works better. With new soles they should be good for years though as a spare set of boots. Anyway, In the meantime I have picked up some new Tech 10’s which feature a lot of upgrades from the old boots. Gone are the terrible buckles, replaced with a new silky smooth system and a host of other upgrades and improvements have been implemented. Break in time is non existent and they are good to go from the moment you put them on.
Wohoo, new boots!
The size feels a bit larger than my previous pair for some reason but they are really comfortable and have the inner bootie which I like with my busted ankles. All the tech features are listed below, but overall they are a great update on an already great boot. They also come in some fresh new colors.
Build Quality: 10/10
* The one-piece co-injected foot chassis incorporates five different advanced polymer compounds in a single streamlined and lightweight piece to offer strength and flexibility throughout the structure, while maintaining its robust structural integrity with no joints or weak points.
* Innovative, lightweight upper combines full-grain leather with advanced lightweight microfiber and an impact and abrasion resistant TPU shell.
* Frontal protection features a dual closure system with an internal microfiber flap, plus Velcro® for a precise fit closure attached securely with a micro-adjustable, easy to operate, lightweight buckle. Shin incorporates a unique TPU blade system engineered to prevent frontal hyperextension and offer greater flex control.
* Innovative, ergonomic design for lateral and medial flex zones to provide superb front and rear flexion support which helps prevent damaging torsional forces around the ankle area.
* Medial-facing panel is constructed from a one-piece, specifically formulated polymer for improved structural stability and integrity, and incorporates a rubber insert panel for maximum grip contact with bike and improved abrasion resistance.
* Contoured TPU calf protector plate offers impact resistance and incorporates Alpinestars innovative rear blade system, formed with hard shock resistant polymer to protect the heel and features a rear hyperextension guard.
* Multi-density foot shell incorporating heel and toe protection is highly resistant to abrasion and impact, and adds to the boot’s overall durability.
* Exclusive dual compound sole is seamlessly integrated to the multi-density foot base structure with built-in support. The sole offers superior durability, grip and feel while riding.
* The central sole insert is easily replaceable and Alpinestars offers a full sole replacement and boot repair service.
* New buckle closure system includes high-impact aluminium bridge closures, with memory and a quick release/locking system with self-aligning design for easy, precise closure and improved riding performance and security. All buckles are easily replaceable.
* Soft microfiber gaiter helps seal out excessive water and dirt entry.
* Poly-fabric lining with 3D open cell foam incorporates anti-slip suede on heel area to keep foot located inside the boot.
* The Tech 10 boot is CE certified.
Inner Ankle Brace System
* Innovative biomechanical inner ankle brace features medial and lateral “C” torsion bars to control ankle and leg rotation, while allowing freedom of movement. Wide fit torsion bar replacements are included. These dual connection torsion bars offer the rider natural ankle movement with progressive damping of torsional forces during an accident.
* TPU protection and shock absorbing padding on the heel and ankles and an ultra thin and flexible forefoot area for increased sensitivity and control.
* New, dual compound, removable anatomic footbed includes EVA for comfort and support and aids even weight distribution.
Photos by PJ and PSP.